BlaB! is a web based chat written in PHP, using AJAX as a transport system and MySQL, SQLite or PostgreSQL as a database storage. The project started back in 2002 as a self-refreshing page called Simple Chat that can still be found on the Internet. There have been more that 200000 downloads ever since and about 12000 active installations, some of which transfering 10000 messages a day.
- Supports almost any of the available browsers today: MSIE, Opera, Firefox, Safari and Chrome
- NO FLASH & NO JAVA: no additional plugins / server modules required
- HTML5 and CSS3 compliant
- 100% resizable, you can run it in iframes of almost any size
- PHP4/PHP5/PHP7 compatible
- Registration system allowing 'guest' users
- Ban users and IP addresses from Admin CP
- 'http' links, emoticons, hidden emoticons, text formatting
- Paint, share & play paintings in chat
- History, bad words removal, Admin CP
- Topics that are posted with the keyword /topic
- Sound notification on new messages
- Language, sound & timezone settings per user
- UTF-8 based multilanguage support. The interface is translated in: Albanian, Arabic, Chinese, Czech, English, Deutsch, Dutch, French, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Download BlaB! 8
- FAQ: How to install
- Download BlaB! 8.x and extract the files from the ZIP archive in an empty directory keeping the directory structure. You can use 7-ZIP, WinZip, WinRar or any other archive program.
- Upload the whole directory (and all files/subdirectories in it) to your server with an FTP program.
- CHMOD to 777 the files config.php, errors.txt and the subfolder /paintings.
- Load BlaB! with your web browser (install pops up) and follow the instructions (3 steps only).
- Remove /install, go to http://yoursite.com/blab/ and you should be able to see the login page which indicates that you completed the install successfully.
- FAQ: How to upgrade from a previous version
- Download the latest BlaB! 8.x
- Unzip the files from the ZIP archive in a new empty directory e.g. /new_chat.
- Upload the directory /new_chat (and all files/subdirectories in it) to your server by an FTP program.
- Overwrite config.php with your old config.php file
- Transfer all files from your old /paintings directory to /new_chat/paintings.
- Go to /new_chat -> ACP -> Settings -> Update DB and update your database entries if necessary.
- if you are upgrading from v6 or v7:
-- You'll be prompted to convert usernames - do so and deal with any possible conflicts - remove or rename duplicate and short usernames.
-- You'll be prompted to convert your database to utf8 - make sure that non-latin letters do not appear properly and only then continue with converting. If non-latin letters look ok select NO.
- Go to /new_chat -> ACP -> Settings and make sure that your default language is set properly.
- Remove or rename the directory /install
- Make sure that your new chat is working properly, remove the old chat directory and rename /new_chat to whatever you wish.
- FAQ: License Agreement
BlaB! 8 LICENSE AGREEMENT
By downloading and using BlaB!, you indicate your acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- You may not rent, sub-license, sell or redistribute this software.
- The source code may be altered (at your own risk!), but the altered code may not be distributed.
- You are allowed to remove the line 'Powered by BlaB!' if you place a visible link to our site on your front page.
- If any terms are violated, we reserve the right to terminate this license at any time.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
THIS SOFTWARE AND THE ACCOMPANYING FILES ARE PROVIDED 'AS IS' AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND!
- Frequently Asked Questions
- BlaB! vs BlaB! Plus vs BlaB! Pro
- Found a bug? Let us know!